Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Beans and Greens Soup (Vegan)











I got so excited when I found this giant bag of Sprouted Bean Trio at the store. I was just waiting for a cold snowy day. Finally, last Sunday afternoon I dug through my fridge and pantry and made this soup. It was even better the next day. I had these beautiful rainbow carrots from my Door to Door Organics box.  Plus some yellowing kale that I needed to use, 2 stray swiss chard leaves and a brand new bunch of beets with lovely green attached. Beet greens are great but they seem to go bad in the fridge very quick. So I try to use ‘em quick.












                Rainbow carrots                                                                               Beet Greens

Ingredients
1 Small onion (or 3 shallots), chopped
3 Carrots, chopped
2 Celery stalks, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, diced
1 Bell pepper or 1 zucchini or 0.5 lbs. green beans, chopped
2- 32oz Vegetable broth
2 Cup Sprouted dried beans (Mine was Lentils, Adzuki and mung beans)
1- 28oz can organic fire roasted tomatoes
2 Bunches of Greens- swiss chard, kale, or beet greens (I used all a mix of all 3)
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
¼ Cup Chopped fresh Parsley
Coconut oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
1.     Heat some coconut oil in a very large pot. Toss I chopped onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 min.
2.     Add bell pepper and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes more
3.     Wash and tear up the greens (discard thick stems) I prefer to tear my greens by hand instead of chop.
4.     Add the rest of the ingredients and cook according the package of beans. I brought to a boil then simmered covered for 40 min.

Eat and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete