Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Egg Muffins



          I was just digging through my tattered and food-covered recipe journal. It’s a combination of scribbles on random pieces of paper, pages ripped out of magazines and barely legible instructions. Often there’s no title, so I have to figure out what a recipe is by the ingredients. About a year ago, I finally admitted that the memory method wasn’t working for me. I would make some amazing dish and thinking I’d remember, never record anything. Trying to duplicate it some time later, left me with almost inedible food (I say almost because I hate wasting food and will eat or save everything).  Finally, I got fed up and gave in. Now deciphering my old scribbles usually pays off in something delicious.
          Anyway, reading through it just makes me wish I had more time to bake and cook. It’s filled with forgotten gems. Many things I’m working on making grain-free. I’ll just have to wait until summer time. In the meantime I’ll have to keep juggling and try to use my time efficiently (not one of my specialties). So here’s a time-saving recipe. This took an hour in the evening and provided breakfast for Sam & I for 3 days. These definetely helped me get out the door on time in the morning.

Baked potato note: I’ll bake a bunch of potatoes (sweet and white) at the beginning of the week and keep these in the fridge. For breakfast I’ll chop up a potato and sauté it with some veggies and eggs. It cooks up really quick and gets nice and crispy. Often, I’ll take a cold baked sweet potato and eat it like an apple for a snack.

Egg Muffins Recipe - Makes 6 full-sized muffins or 12 cupcake-sized muffins

Ingredients
12 eggs
2 cups chopped potato & veggies, for example:
1 baked potato, diced 
1/4 of a small onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, chopped
1/2 broccoli head, chopped
4-5 slices tempeh bacon, chopped (optional)
1/3 Cup grated organic cheese, plus some slices for the top (optional)
1 tomato, chopped
1/3 Cup chopped fresh herbs (I had a combination of green onions, cilantro & parsley)
Coconut oil
Salt and pepper

Directions
1.     Preheat oven to 325 & place oven rack in the upper third section.
2.     Heat coconut oil, saute potato and veggies on medium for 5-8 minutes.
3.     Scramble eggs and grated cheese in a big bowl. Add some salt and pepper.
4.     Divide sautéed veggie mix into the bottom of the muffin tin.
5.     Pour egg mixture over top.
6.     Sprinkle fresh herbs & tomatoes on top. Top with cheese slices if using.
7.     Bake for 35-45 minutes, until an inserted knife comes out clean.
                                                 Pre-cooked

They’ll puff up and then fall a bit as they cool. Re-heat or eat cold for breakfast or a protein packed snack. 

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete