Saturday, February 2, 2013

My First Post! Banana Blueberry Paleo Waffles



So here goes! The first post of my first bog. I'm really excited and a little nervous. But I've decided ready or not, here I go. 


Why a blog? Well, I've always loved food and recently, food blogs. That's where most of my Internet time-wasting is spent.  Then I began taking a teacher's writing course (still in it) for my graduate program, which has been surprisingly challenging and engaging. Last night, I was up late wasting time on the Internet, and before I knew it, I had created a blog. Which is no surprise really, because in the end I'm generally impulsive and do what I want. So welcome to my blog!

I was craving waffles this morning. But I'm currently on a 30 day grain-free and cane sugar-free experiment. Paleo waffles it is. My first paleo cooking came from PaleOMG, one of my favorite blogs, you should check it out. So this is really adapted from some of Juli's waffle recipes (Thanks Juli!). I tend to combine almost too many ingredients and flavors when I cook and bake. Everything sounds so good, why choose, just combine, right?! So I rummaged through my kitchen and found bananas and frozen blueberries, which are very sensible friends really, and started measuring.



Banana Blueberry Paleo Waffles (made 3 waffles)



Ingredients:
1/2 c blanched almond flour 
1/2 c coconut flour (Next time I'll experiment with 1/4-1/3 c coconut flour)
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
dash of salt

1/4 c coconut oil (melted then used quickly)
1 mashed organic banana
1/4 c agave nectar
4 whisked organic eggs (Go for 'pastured'/ 'pasture-raised' over 'cage-free')
1 t vanilla or almond extract or both or neither (really any way is fine)
Zest of 1/2 lemon - Optional
About 1 c blueberries ( I defrosted frozen ones in the micro, fresh are also fine)

Preheat your waffle iron (I set mine at 4 1/2 - 5)
Short version: mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients, surprise coming...combine all and mix again. Waffle iron away!

Long version read on:
Mix dry ingredients together.

Mix wet ingredients together.



I melted my coconut oil and mixed, then dilly-dallied like usual (taking pictures and such). So I got some small clumps of coconut oil re-solidifying. I popped the liquid bowl in the microwave for 1 min, a little nervous that I would scramble the eggs. It was fine, still had some little clumps, but everything turned out splendid in the end.



Combine wet and dry and mix until smooth. Add blueberries and mix some more. I tasted my batter and something wasn't right. I forgot the agave! So I mixed it in at the end. I often do this forget an ingredient thing, which is why I now taste all my batters before I bake. 
Since my blueberries were previously frozen the batter turned a greenish-blue.

The batter was very think! Don't worry, the waffle iron will melt everything down.

Throw a heaping scoop in the middle of your waffle iron, about 1 cup (I didn't measure). Close it! Flip! And let it do it's thing!




And tada, waffles! They may look a little burnt, but they're not. I've learned paleo pancakes, waffles and baked goods often look that way. They turned out quite dense and delicious!


Sam wanted maple syrup, I wanted applesauce. We both ended up with applesauce and syrup smothered waffles. 1 waffle was very filling. These things are calorie dense with the coconut and almond flour. But it's OK because Sam and I are gonna Crossfit it up in a few hours! 




I hope you enjoyed this first post. 'Cause I enjoyed making it. More to come later.

Cheers!



1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete